Author Topic: Tutorial  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Tutorial
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
To download the client, go to this URL: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/.  There you will see options for downloads. We suggest the Windows download option, however if you use Linux or other applications then choose the best one to fit your system. The current version is 1.2.8 so just click on the 'Windows: 1.2.8 (Stable)' and you will get the download prompt. After the download is complete, click on the application and then the  'Run' option.  Follow the steps to complete the download, and when your are finished, launch Mumble. (The installation has a very simple and step by step instruction so follow that.)

Now when you launch Mumble, it may take about 10-20 seconds to load up, this is normal. After loading, you will get the Mumble application and then you will also get another box that lists the current open servers. At the bottom of this you will have the options: Connect or Add New. Click on 'Add New' and you will get a pop-up box asking for Label, Address, Port (do not change the port), and Username.  The Label:  You can name it whatever you want, but if want to remain consistent with us we all just call it TWVA/OVA Mumble.  The Address needs to be set to orca.ryansit.net and then the Username whatever you want to use. We all just use our names.  You don't have to include your Pilot ID if don't want to.  Click on OK, and that will save it to your favorites.  Then click Connect and that should enter you into the Mumble chat room. Most of the time you will see us in there from 6pm to around 11:30pm CST.  If you have problems with any of this, let us know in a post to this board.  It will help others who may encounter the same problem later.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:14:13 PM by Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO »

Offline Chris Pollard/TWR2312

• View Profile
Re: Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Just checking to see if the address has changed - multiple tries last night would not allow me to log in.

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 09:34:25 PM »
Hi Chris,
There is an issue with the server right now. I need to research it, but right now I can't. I have to go to South Florida next week to close on my Mom's trailer so we can settle her estate. Perhaps when I get back, I can take care of this for you. There have been very little activity on Mumble for at least the past year, so it's not like you are missing out on the action. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get online. Maybe you can encourage others to get on, and have a good time like we used to do.

Brian

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 03:12:19 PM »
I noticed the other night that our Mumble server is still working. However, there are a couple changes to be aware of. First, the download address is now simply https://mumble.com, and the latest version is 1.3.2. It is pretty obvious there on the front page, so you'll have no problem finding it.

To set it up after you install it and get connected as directed above in the OP, make sure your mic and if using a headset, are hooked up. Go into your computer's sound settings, find your microphone, and ensure the boost checkbox is checked or the slider is turned up. Next, go back into Mumble and click on "Configure">"Settings" and click on "Audio Input" on the left if it's not highlighted already. Click the dropdown arrow beside of "Default Device" in the Interface box, and select your microphone device.

Now you need to set up a push to talk key. Mumble will do Voice Activation, but if you don't get it just right, it doesn't work well, and it's annoying. Please set up PTT. In the Transmission box, click the dropdown and select "Push to Talk." To set up a key, click on "Shortcuts" to the left. Click "Add" and then click on "Unassigned." Next, click the dropdown beside of "Unassigned", and select "Push to Talk." Now click to the right of "Push to Talk" right under "Shortcut." Find a key that you don't use much in your sim (so that you don't transmit while using that key in your sim.) Now just press that key, and Mumble will assign that key automatically.

Finally, click on "Audio Output" and in the same way that you chose your device for your microphone, choose your output device (usually headphones).

That's it. You can play with the volume on the Output page, but the other settings should work for you the way they are. There is a built text capability, so if things go wonky, I should be able to help you that way. Consider this your official invite to join us and chat.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:13:51 PM by Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO »

Offline Charlie Ford/TWVA-CEO

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 04:59:30 AM »
Brian, is the website still orca.ryansit.net ?

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
Yes, that is the address to put into Mumble.