Author Topic: Speaking of Trans Texas Airlines -- ya gotta read this --  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
Speaking of Trans Texas Airlines -- ya gotta read this --
« on: September 07, 2020, 02:54:45 AM »
As I was researching some Trans Texas stuff on the web to find good pictures of their DC9-14's, I stumbled across an accident they had with one of their CONVAIR 600's. The 600 was a CV-580 but with RR vice Allison turboshaft engines essentially.

These links include the The NTSB accident report, a written transcript of the CVR around the time of the accident, and an actual copy of the CVR sound file.

This was a horrific instance of lost "situational awareness" and the old non-CRM mentality that existed at the time.

I believe the "Page VOR" the Captain refers to is now the RICH MOUNTAIN VOR (PGO), which either replaced it or is in roughly the same area.

Take your time to review all of this - you will hardly believe this could happen, but it did. I will say that flying in the Gulf states area is tough, especially at lower altitudes because of the constant, always changing thunderstorm activity. I lived with it for two tours as a jet instructor at Beeville, Texas,and you really had to have some backup plans in your pocket all the time.

Local area tactical training was not a big issue, but instrument training flights usually included out-and-in flights/practice instrument approaches at various military bases within a 500 nm radius, and things could change in a hurry.

Luckily a jet gives a lot of options in getting around many of them, but the downside is always !!FUEL!! vs alternate destination options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TrPR4e9Dr0   ------------  (sound)

https://www.tailstrike.com/270973.htm  ----------------------- narrative and CVR transcript

https://www.baaa-acro.com/sites/default/files/2019-01/N94230.pdf ------ NTSB report, inclues a map of flight track (poor quality)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 03:13:30 AM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline HankSilk

• View Profile
Re: Speaking of Trans Texas Airlines -- ya gotta read this --
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:57:44 PM »
Why didn't they file an IFR flight plan?  You would think that these two experienced pilots would have planned the flight better.  It's sad that every person aboard the airplane were killed plus the three National Guard members when their helicopter crashed.  Good read and video.  Thanks Mike.

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
Re: Speaking of Trans Texas Airlines -- ya gotta read this --
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
I imagine the Captain wanted to avoid the "hassle" of dealing with ATC when trying to change headings and altitudes to get through the storm front. It was night but apparently mostly VFR.

A foolish decision, and of course in those days the co-pilot was cowered into doing what the Captain wanted.

The Captain was obviously aware that this would violate company policy so he did not inform the dispatcher of his intentions.
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF