Author Topic: TWA DC9-51 Repaint  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
TWA DC9-51 Repaint
« on: August 26, 2020, 03:25:08 PM »
Attached are two shots of my SkySim DC9-51 for P3D4. They are at the "Stash" area at the north end of KDCA. The Pentagon (my "home" at one time for a few years, both on active duty and later as a civilian) in the background and the Crystal City area off to the west.

This payware is a pretty good bundle, but the original autopilot was a travesty. A freeware improvement was developed which makes it pretty satisfactory.

This airplane, N415EA, obviously once belonged to Eastern. It seems TWA had a very eclectic collection of  DC-9s including some -40s, which were pretty rare.
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline PC-12 Fan

• View Profile
Re: TWA DC9-51 Repaint
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
Two words . . .

Sah - weet!!!

;D

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 04:46:38 AM »
TWA operated DC9's out of KLIT.  Back when I was at General Dynamics and the Sparrow 7M missile program, took many a flight on the DC9's to KSTL then onward to KDCA for program reviews at the Crystal Palace.   8)

Beautiful work, Mike, <Salute>

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »
Ah, yes - Crystal City. What a place in it's day - the Underground, JP1, JP2 etc.

My Navy contemporaries that retired in the DC area tell me it is a virtual ghost town now.

NAVAIR, NAVSEA, etc moved out after the 1993 BRAC.
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 07:15:54 AM »
Speaking of DC-9s, my first flight was in 1966 on a Trans Texas -10 (I believe) from Corpus to somewhere, then on an Eastern Electra to KDCA to get married. My bride to be was from Fairfax, Va. I was in advanced jet flight training in Kingsville at the time.

In the 70's the Navy wound up getting 26 C-9Bs over a period of time, some new special made, some converted to a sort of DC9-33F standard with higher weights and fuel capacity. They were flown by Reserve VR squadrons and were terrific.

Most people do not think of the logistics effort needed to take an air wing to Fallon, Nevada, Eglin AFB etc for exercises prior to a Carrier deployment. All the troops, tools, GSE needed to set up such a detachment for about a two week period.

Thinking of recent events - hurricane evacuations of Naval Air Stations, many of which lie in the typical path: Oceana, Norfolk, Jax, the entire Training Command in Florida and Texas. Pilots flew the planes out to Fallon, China Lake, Edwards  -wherever, to get them out of the area. The C-9Bs took the troops and junior pilots/students out too, so they could continue some training and readiness until things calmed down.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:20:18 AM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline Charlie Ford/TWVA-CEO

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
Very nice. When I flew for Air Wisconsin, I was based at KDCA all 3 years. That was were we parked the CRJ-200s for what was then Gate 35X. We called it "The World" when we were talking with Ground/Tower. I really miss that airport!

That is a beautiful DC-9 and definitely adds to the beauty that is our beloved TWA!

Offline BrianNinness/TWA2212

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:32:39 AM »
Good looking plane for sure Mike!

I am looking at Sky Sim's DC-9's now at $35 on Just Flight. Might as well throw some more money at P3D until MSFS gets honed some more or is gifted from the wife.

What other Sky Sim TWA paints have you found for it other then the -10 and -51?

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »
The P3D pack is excellent all around but:

1.The file structure (number of folders and alias references) is cumbersome until you study it a little. You can just hop in and fly though. I do a lot of file editing of the panel cfg file and some repaints so it took some time to study how various files and folders relate. $35 is a very reasonable cost for such a good airplane set.

2. The original autopilot is time period capability; no modern type of altitude preselect, speed/ VSI hold combination. Not a big deal, but it would not hold "0" VSI - best was +100 / -100 fpm. A guy did a considerable improvement for the FSX version and the mod Autopilot works perfectly in the P3D version. Some of his other whistles and bells did not work in P3D4 so I didn't use them (auto V speed ASI in particular). You can get his FSX upgrade at https://sites.google.com/site/fsxstuffbybk/aircraft-modifications/sky-simulations-d

3. The two F versions (-10 and -30) are a joke; nothing but a painted up pax version, no cargo door, windows built in so you can't get rid of them in the -10.

4. Very good paint kit except the annoying tail air stair. I spent a day figuring out how to get a paint design across it - once found, very easy fix.

5. SkySim site has numerous repaints. I have one for an OZARK -30, TWA and Eastern  -10 and worked on a few of my own including the -10 I flew on with Trans Texas in late 1966. Turns out they only had one at the time, and believe it or not, it was the original DC9 prototype that Douglas refurbished as a DC9-14 for TTA, the very 1st they bought. See screenshot --
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:02:32 PM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

incident-prescription