Author Topic: It's good to be home..  (Read 6921 times)

Offline Pam Brooker

• View Profile
It's good to be home..
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »
Hi Everyone..
Yeahh, thats right.. After four years gone, i'm finally home, and back at kjfk which left my hands in 2012 when i stopped simming altogether.. So for those of you that dont know me, Hi.. I'm an ex fsx and p3d developer and spent six years working on flight models for several other developers. Now days, i only fly, and i only fly X-Plane. I'm no expert at it, but i'm always glad to help with questions in any way that i can. If you have questions about X-Plane, please feel free to ask, and before you ask, no, I do not do flight models for either fsx or p3d any longer and will not do them. sorry..
As i get any news about X-plane, I will share it here. When i see new aircraft, I will review them here.. Anything i can do to help out so we can all get more enjoyment, i'll do.. Annnnd no, i do not want to hold a staff position again, unless its in Osaka..
So, I've been watching this forum for a couple weeks now. It used to be a lot more active.. I know life changes, and people have responsibilities beyond flying a make believe airplane, but chatter can be a good thing, and i'd like to encourage everyone to take a more active role here, and ask that you all talk, as well as fly, or even talk and fly at the same time.. We have a good family here. One of the best..
Its good to be home..
Pam
That I should never forget!

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Re: It's good to be home..
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
Welcome Back .... gonna show my age.  ;)

Offline Pam Brooker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:38:06 AM »
::LOL:: That wa a good show.. didnt watch it every week, but most of them..

Offline Steve McBee/TWVA FLEET MGR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:29:13 AM »
Nervous to say something, cause I don't want any rumors, but welcome back Pam LOL
Steve

Offline Pam Brooker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »
Thanks Steve. It means a lot to me to read that.. And to hell with rumors. They're nothing but the flutterings of a sick minded control freak trying to hold you back every time.. Ignore em and keep on pushin on.. Your work is outstanding, and i'm grateful, because it means i dont have to get back into the livery painting business, although i admit that being the companies only X-plane user it gets a little lonely sometimes and my planes dont all say TWA on them.. Oh well.. You work with what you got and if people dont like it, eff em. 

Offline Tom Burrill/TWVA1981

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »
Welcome back Pam,
Glad to have you back at JFK I joined in 2012 so we have not met until now. Glad to see that you are returning with expertise and interest in the flight simulator hobby. I come from an aviation family as my Dad and I both soloed at age 20 and he went on to work as a mechanic for Northeast Airlines and American Export during the days of the Dc3 and Sikorsky VS 44 flying boats having spent time at KLGA Marine Terminal in the early 1940"s. My aviation career was shortened due to the inability to pass the eye exam for a commercial rating and a small wallet. I flew RC for 25 years and took up flight simulator in 2002 and am working toward my 5000th hour as we speak. I enjoy forum interaction and am glad you have something to add as I am always checking. My flight simulator interest is far and wide from historic props to the 737-800 etc. Just recently thanks to my daughter's 70th birthday present to me I flew a full scale 737-800 simulator at "Boston Flight Experience" in Burlington Mass. Although not full motion it is full size and is a $177,000 computer set up with all the bells and whistles in place. It is at a professional level although not to the same degree as the multimillion dollar units. 

The unit is owned by a New Zealand Company and is the only one of its type in the USA  which at times professional pilots utilize in personal preparation for transitioning into the 737 aircraft. My flight was $235.00 for the hour but frequent users can fly for $189 and can fly the same procedures as done in the units that cost $2,400 per hour. So it was a fantastic experience I did two circuits at KBOS linked by a touch and go the second of which was done at night. Then I transitioned to the approach at KaiTak and flew two rounds there the second of which was on instruments at  minimums. After an hour of success I was totally mentally and physically drained given that the entire operation was flown by hand with auto throttle assist.  However very successful operating within acceptable standards for safe landings.

My instructor pilot acted as copilot handling the FMC programing and I handled the flaps, speeds, gear and hand flying. Fortunately he was there for me with the check list callouts to make for an excellent experience. The big thing I noticed from our computer sims is how heavy the controls were. The pressure required was more like driving a heavy truck without power steering and I tended to put more rudder pressure then required. In fact my bumb shoulder took a beating and may well limit future visits.

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
Tom -
Many thanks for the post.  My son and daughter-in-law live in the Boston area, (Somerville), and we have made many trips there ... and since it doesn't look they are going to move, I anticipate many more.

The wifey is always inquiring about what to plan for the next trip.  Thanks to you, I have a USDA, grade A #1 selection.   :)  ((Maybe not for her ... but the son and I will have a blast!))

incident-prescription
incident-prescription