Author Topic: Some Aviation Trivia --  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
Some Aviation Trivia --
« on: December 26, 2019, 04:03:35 AM »
First, happy holidays to all.

Second - attached is a short file I wrote several years ago for the Washington DC Chapter of the Tailhook Association. At the time I was assigned to the Aircraft Carrier Programs Section of the Navy (OPNAV) Staff in the Pentagon. I was surprised to find out how many aviation personnel actually did not know the specifics of these terms.

Hope you find this "illuminating"
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 04:05:20 AM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline OVA5220-Darren Elliott

• View Profile
    • Darren's fs9 site
Re: Some Aviation Trivia --
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:01:18 PM »
haha nice

Offline Tom Burrill/TWVA1981

• View Profile
Re: Some Aviation Trivia --
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 06:13:22 AM »
Interesting  information information  which I was familiar with not sure if I could write the definitions from memory but probably could do fairly well in a multiple choice situation. My introduction to these terms was during my 25 yr. RC Flying Career starting way back in 1975.  Back in those days we built all of our aircraft either from kits or scratch built and several of the guys were master scale builders and  used to compete  in the WWI  RC Scale Model meet at The Old Reinbeck  Aerodrome in Reinbeck,New York. I attended these meets and took family members to the aerodrome countless times. Cole Palen and his crew would put  on a show with actual and replica WWI aircraft powered with rotary engines. During this activity I was introduced to the the French terms used in aviation. Those were some of the happiest times in my life especially when I took my Dad who attended Roosevelt Aviation School  and became a mechanic for Northeast Airlines on the DC3 etc.  While at Roosevelt he saw the original WWI Aircraft that Cole Palen  purchased and took to Reinbeck to start the flying museum which still exists today. Those interested can find the facebook page for more information.