Author Topic: TWA B747-400F: Paint for PMDG QOTS II  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
TWA B747-400F: Paint for PMDG QOTS II
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »
I am gradually getting better at repaints.

I am lucky enough t own the P3D version of PMDG's 747-400 and F series models; put a hole in my wallet, but I don't play golf, have no children at home, etc.

Anyway, it is a magnificent piece of payware.

I used one of our hangar download textures as an example for this repaint, done with a very involved paint kit.

The ground shot is at KILN in Ohio, a major DHL trans point with long runways. I have some scattered stretch-8 AI airplanes coming and going, which I also painted and programmed.

The air shot is passing near the Kennebunk (ENE) VOR just abeam Portland Maine, enroute from Halifax to KILN at FL340. The airfield below is the former NAS Brunswick, now closed, but a major P-2/P-3 ASW base in its day.

For a long time I kept away from VC cockpits and FMS type airplanes, preferring steam gauge vintage stuff. However, the quality of newer payware makes VC quite realistic, and learning how to use all the modern technology involved with an FMS-driven plane is very interesting and enlightening.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:43:23 PM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Re: TWA B747-400F: Paint for PMDG QOTS II
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
Good looking bird !!  I really like the "what-if" livery.

Couple of questions:
  - What painting program do you use ?
  - Are you using a Font for the fuselage letters, (the big Trans World)?

One of the cons about using X-plane is the lack of liveries for the few aircraft it has available.  I've watched some youtube tutorials and may try to start doing some for it if I can grasp the concepts.

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 07:28:17 AM »
I use Photoshop, the cc cloud 2019 subscription edition. I never used it until about a year ago, but learning is relatively quick.

The text for Trans World was cut out of the bmp texture sheet from the hangar download I used as a general concept. I cut it out using MS Paint, pasted into Photoshop, as a layer used the "magic wand" to eliminate the white background, then smoothed up a few rough edges. Resized for an appropriate dimension for the overall airplane.

Copy/flip for a new layer used on the right side.

The "Cargo" is an actual text used by Photoshop, "Book Antiqua" Bold/Italic for some noticeable style.

Also, DXTbmp is indespensible in making bmp or dds texture files - a great piece of freeware.
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline OVA5220-Darren Elliott

• View Profile
    • Darren's fs9 site
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:49:47 PM »
wow nice pics

incident-prescription
incident-prescription