Author Topic: kACARS_Free setup  (Read 16013 times)

Offline Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
kACARS_Free setup
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
For those who want to use kACARS_Free to track their flights (and I highly recommend it) here are the steps to get you in the air.

First to download it:

Go to "Inside TWVA/Pilot Resources" and click on the FS Products banner under ACARS Programs.  Follow the links to download kACARS_Free v1.0.1.0.  It is the top link on the download page.  This all you need from this page.  Disregard the other links.

Once you have that, make sure you have the following installed on your computer:

Windows installer 3.1
Windows .NET framework 3.5
FSUIPC

Most of you will have those anyway.  The only one you might not have is FSUIPC, and the latest versions can be found at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html.  Be absolutely sure you get the correct module for your version of FS -- 3.99 for FS9 and prior, and 4.70 for FSX (yes, you need it for FSX too.)

Install kACARS_Free as with any other program.  If using Windows Vista/7, I highly recommend you do this by right clicking on the installer and selecting "Run as Administrator."

Settings

Run kACARS. At the top you will see the menu item "Options". Click on it to see the drop down menu and select "VA Profiles" (you can set up more than one VA in here.) Click on this. A new window will open displaying the settings for the VA.

VA Settings Explained

• VA -  This is the name of the VA for which these settings are being entered.  Trans World Virtual Airlines or Ozark Virtual Air Lines whichever the case may be.
  • URLbase - This is the base URL for the phpVMS system. This would be the same address as your home page.  Do NOT add a slash at the end of the URL.
  • PilotID - This is the pilot id for the pilot using the client application.
  • Password - This is the password for the same pilot as above.

Change these and then click the SAVE button (the blue floppy disc.) All new settings will be changed and updated upon the closing of this window.  Close the window by clicking the red X.

Now go to "Options" again, only this time select "User Settings

Set the "VA Profile" dropdown at the top to the VA name you wish to use kACARS for.

User Settings Explained

• Search by Flight # - With this box checked you can enter a flightnumber and retrieve the information for that flight. With it unchecked the "Get Flight Bid Info" will get the next flight in your bids.
  • View Site Errors - Leave unchecked unless you are having trouble connecting.
  • Ignore P-Brake/Airborne Check - Check if you want the system to start tracking even if the Park Brakes are not set in the aircraft or even if you are airborne (not recommended.)

Again, click on the blue disc and the window will close.  You are now set to use kACARS_Free to track your flights.  You will not need to go into these options again unless you are switching to a different VA.

Windows Vista & Windows 7

Client users running Windows Vista or Windows 7 will need to run this application using the "Run as Administrator" option.  If there is already an icon for kACARS_Free on your desktop, skip this next step: 
-- Go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\FS Products\kACARS_Free and right click on the kACARS-Free .exe and select "Send to Desktop(create shortcut.)"
--Then right click on the new short cut on your Desktop.
--Go down to "Properties" and click the "Compatibility" tab. Look down until you see the "Privilege Level" and check "Run as Administrator." Then click OK. This will allow you to simply double left click the  shortcut and it will start up correctly.

Using kACARS_Free

* Begin by logging in.  Simply click the "Log In" button.  The Pilot ID and Password fields are filled in for you.  The box under the button should turn green and say "Logged In."

* Next, being sure that Flight Sim is running, click on the "Connect to FS" button.  Again, the box under it will turn green and this time say "Connected to FS."

* Now, if you checked the "Search by Flight #" check box in the "User Settings," you will need to enter the flight number of the flight you wish to fly here.  Be sure to enter it with the airline code before the number i.e. TWA172 not 172.  Then click on the "Get Flight Number Info" button.  The boxes will fill in for you with the info for that flight.

* If you left the check box unchecked, meaning you are using the bid system, you will just need to click the "Get Flight Bid Info" button and the next bid in line will be selected, populating the boxes for you.

* The "Flight Level" box will not be filled in either case and you will need to enter that info manually.  Enter it as an altitude even if you plan to fly a flight level.  For example, if you plan to fly at 38000 feet, enter 38000 not 380.

* Next enter the route as you plan to fly it.  Do not enter the airport ICAOs.  They will show up in a different area on your PIREP.

You do NOT need to have your engines off to start tracking with kACARS, but you do need to be on the ground and have the parking brake set.

* Set up your aircraft to the point where you are ready to push back.  Click on "Start Flight," release the parking brakes, and push back.

* Fly your flight as normal, and when you arrive at the gate, set the parking brakes, enter any desired comments and click on "Stop Flight."

* The "File PIREP" button will light up and you will see a box pop up saying "Your PIREP is Ready to File."  Click "OK" and then click on the "File PIREP" button.  YOu have just filed your PIREP with the appropriate VA.  When you go to look at your PIREP at the site, you will notice a link to view your Log.  Looking at these logs can give you an indication of where you can improve.  This info is not used against you.  It is only there to help you.

* If for some reason, you decide not to file this PIREP, click the "Clear PIREP" button and it will discard it.

* While you are at cruise and your work load is light, you may want to go to the website's "Live Map" where you can view your flight stats in real time.  Just a fun feature that allows us all to share in your enjoyment.

I hope you enjoy kACARS_Free.  It seems to be the most stable of the three freeware options we offer, and I highly recommend it.

If you have any questions, or problems using it, please post them below.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:57:20 PM by Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO »

Jim Keil/OVA5144

Re: kACARS_Free setup
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
I keep getting a connection error

using my pilot ID TWA1767

I have tried base URL with both

http://www.fly-twva.com

and

http://www.fly-twva.com/index.php/

and get a connection error. any assistance would be appreciated

Jim Keil/OVA5144

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:08:37 PM »
Thanks Howard,

I appear to be up now :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:15:11 PM by Jim Keil/OVA5144 »

Offline Shay Kleinpeter/1647-MCI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:39:57 AM »
So when I tried to install FSUIPC, I get a message saying the administrator has blocked use, and to contact the administrator.  CLASSIC windows 7.  I am the admin, and have tried running the program as admin, changing the properties, and moving it to the desktop first.  It says it is not trusted.  Any tips?
Nationwide.  Worldwide.  Today, on TWVA.

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:12:39 PM »
I need more to go on Shay.

What program is saying not trusted?  Can you give me the error message verbatim?  Often times there is something in the message that will point me in the right direction, but only if I can see the whole message.  You say you have changed the properties, but you don't say what you changed and how you changed it.  I need that info as well.  Sometimes in the computer world what seems insignificant to the everyday user is essential information to a geek.

As for Howard and Jim, I am left to conclude that the problems you had by adding TWA were intermittent or peculiar to your PC's, and maybe a few others, as I have tried connecting with the TWA prepended to your pilot id's and used your passwords, and it connects for me just fine.  Glad you have it going, but I need to research why it gave you the problem.

Offline Tim Hobin/TWVA1713

• KLAX Polar Ops Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
Might this have something to do with W7 UAC??

The USCG and DHS Pimp me out. I love It!!

Offline Howard Lindsay/TWVA451

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
Might this have something to do with W7 UAC??
I have W7 UAC turned off, with UAC on I couldn't edit the aircraft .cfg files. If there is any way to work on these files with UAC on, I need to know.

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 01:49:24 PM »
I don't think your issue is related to UAC, but I think Shay's most certainly does.  I just need the full error messages to confirm it.  You don't need UAC turned on anyway, Howard.  It's nothing more than Microshaft's attempt to steal Linux technology.  Only they screwed it up -- as usual.

Offline Howard Lindsay/TWVA451

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
Thanks Brian, glad to know that I don't need UAC.

• KLAX Polar Ops Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:56:58 AM »
I am getting a common known switch error using the kacars device in admin mode UAC down W8 64.

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
At what point does it cast the error?  I assume it's when you click "File Pirep" is it not?  Also, two more questions:  Are you using FSX or FS9, and when did you last update FSUIPC?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:17:00 PM by Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO »

• KLAX Polar Ops Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:13 PM »
Most recent FSUIPC, FSX, Windows 8 64 and it starts that error when i try to log in.

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
Even though you have the most recent FSUIPC, there was a security problem with it a while back and they asked everyone to re-download it and install it again.  You might want to try that and see if it makes a difference.  The only other thing that would cause it that I am aware of is a website error, but since you are the only one having the problem, it can't be that.

Offline Walt Moehle/TWA2105

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 11:49:56 PM »
Another connection error victim. Just to verify the url is the same as the home page for TWVA  http://fly-twva.com/index.php ? Have had Kacars on this system until recently without issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Walt
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:28:52 AM by Walt Moehle/TWA2105 »

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
Walt, don't add the /index.php.  It's just http://www.fly-twva.com Nothing else.

incident-prescription