Author Topic: Summer 2018 Photo Shoot  (Read 6009 times)

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Summer 2018 Photo Shoot
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Starting a thread for pilots to share screen shots of their Berlin Airlift flights.  Even though it's June, I am going to look into setting up some custom winter weather mess.  From what I've read, winters in Germany can be wicked.

Final run up and mag check on flight leg BAL002 with the freeware JBK DC-4 / C-54:
Cowl flaps open, main flaps at 20, mucho up elevator trim.

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Re: Summer 2018 Photo Shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
Flew BAL004 today with real time weather by ActiveSky.  Ran into some thunderstorms with some fairly wicked updrafts.  Good thing Douglas designed the C-47 to be tuff!!  Thought the sim was pulling my leg, so went online to check a weather radar map of Germany.  Nope ... no leg pulling going on here.

Weather on 6/9/2018, 20:30 GMT

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »
BAL009 flown using the magnificent freeware C-47 by Manfred Jahn. The VC and accuracy of this entire package exceeds most payware planes of any type.

This texture is an extra download to the basic file. C-47s flew much needed supplies to West Berliners every 3 minutes for 11 months.  The repaint is based on an original aircraft in a WWII museum in Berlin at Tempelhof  Airport.

See the attached photos; the VC cockpit (no 2-d main panel) has a fluorescent lighting option as shown in the last picture.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:29:22 PM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »
I'm using that same model and it is indeed superb!  The sound pack that comes with it is one of the best radial engine sound reproductions done.  Not only that, all the inflight sounds, rattles, bumps & grinds are in there as well.

Excellent screenshots .... now I gotta go find that livery!   :D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 06:18:22 AM »
The texture can be found here -

http://www.fsxaddons.com/addons/detail/fsx-douglas-c-47-the-berlin-train-repaint/719/

Depending on which  C-47 Jahn version you have, make sure the sim= line in the aircraft.cfg file is correct; the download fltsim.xx section reflects an early version, I have the latest upgrade. The texture should work in any version of Jahn's model if the aircraft.cfg {FLTSIM.xx} section is set up correctly
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:39:28 PM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
The Lockheed C-69 did fly some BAL missions. However, by that timeframe they were all likely to be unpainted aluminum with markings.

The C-69 originally entered service in late 1944 after many engine and other problems, and only 13 of an order for 22 were delivered as such, the remainder delivered to airlines (including TWA) as L-049s at the end of the war. These differed from the L-049A primarily in having "eyebrow windows" over the cockpit and 1-stage superchargers.

The USAAF C-69s were initially painted in OD over grey. I liked the scheme, but few pictures can be found except for the prototype, emblazoned with Lockheed insignia and a civil registration number. That prototype, contract number 43-10309, later did enter operational service.

After some investigation of USAAF painting regs, I concluded that it likely carried a "ship number"  310309 on the tail, and a squadron hull number 01.

I used the freeware CalClassic FS2004/FSX TWA L-049 Constellation and some busy Photoshop work to produce my "imaginary" C-69 for the BAL mission.

The original C-69s had only a 1-stage supercharger. They later were all upgraded.
See attached image.  Now, to go fly it!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:36:18 PM by Michael Concannon /OVA5155 »
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

incident-prescription