Author Topic: Real life 737 flying experience feedback requested  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Francisco Chiquero/TWA2286

• View Profile
Real life 737 flying experience feedback requested
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:23:40 PM »
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here has, or had in the past, real life experience flying the 737-500/6/7/8 series.

The reason is that I am tempted to apply for an airline called Norwegian on the short haul fleet (737-800), with the intention to return to my home country, Spain, and I was interested in exchanging views on the Boeing vs Airbus philosophy or any other sort of feedback. I currently fly the A320.

Anyone who has an opinion on this topic please join and express your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

Francisco
:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:30:34 PM by Francisco Chiquero/TWA2286 »

Offline BrianNinness/TWA2212

• View Profile
Re: Real life 737 flying experience feedback requested
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »
Hello and Welcome to TWVA Francisco!

I only maintain the 737's but as far as cockpit automation and feel goes the 737NG aircraft will be a step back in time for you. My small amount of interaction of the MAX8 is that is better and more up to date but still catching up to the 777 in my opinion.

I did watch a youtube video of a British Airways A320 check pilot who never flew anything else fly a BA 737NG simulator and said it felt like flying a steam locomotive compared to the Airbus. His opinion.

They all get the job done and would be a new experience for you for sure.

Cheers!
Brian N.

Offline Francisco Chiquero/TWA2286

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:06:50 PM »
Hi Brian! Thanks for welcoming me 😀

Do you work in maintenance/engineering? That is a very interesting point of view that is always worth listening to!

I have seen the pictures of the MAX flight deck and it does have a newer look compared to the NG, however it is still a 737 so I suppose it will retain much of the older systems. If I joined Norwegian I might end up on that fleet as they are planning to deploy the MAX in Malaga/LEMG which is where ideally I would like to be based but, honestly, I'd rather go to the NG as I don't want to be doing long haul flights on a narrow body aircraft.

There is one particular feature I don't like about the Boeing, the size of the flight deck. It feels crammed compared to the Airbus. And of course the tray table! I would miss that a lot if I changed fleets.

The truth is that I am attracted to a more conventional, hands on type of flying. The A320 is a marvel, yes, at the expense of making me feel I am flying a huge Iphone with its own "character".

In my view, too many computers and a philosophy I don't agree with. Apparently the 737 requires a deeper understanding of the plane prior to fly in on the line unlike the Airbus where all SOP's pretty much rely on following the ECAM instructions and you get to fly it with a much shallower starting knowledge. I am missing the learning factor, the joy of knowing your plane inside out but as a Training Captain friend of mine working for Vueling said: "don't try to understand the plane, I have been flying it for over 10 years and I still don't fully get it".

I don't mind working more having to make necessary imputs to manage the systems as it would eventually make me feel I am actually flying the aircraft as opposed to the Airbus where it does it all itself until a failure arises and then you end up with a different bird. It is like flying a plane with "personality issues" 😂

I can't help being a nostalgic of classic airplanes and this is the closest I can realistically be. Let's not forget that in the end, airline flying is not very exciting, at least to me, so I'd rather find parallel motivations and rewards.

We'll see what happens next. I still need to go to Oslo for the interviews and sim check so time will tell.

Thanks again for your words Brian. 😀

Regards

Francisco

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:43:55 AM by Francisco Chiquero/TWA2286 »

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »
It's really great to get a real-life pilot's point of view about the aircraft they fly ... and we simulate flying.   :)

At a former job in the defense aerospace segment, I traveled about 3 months out of the year.  Being 25 years ago, the equipment was mainly Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas.  Airbus adoption in the US was not too prevalent at the time.  From a purely passenger point of view, the first Airbus equipped flight I took left a feeling that is was not as 'beefy' or 'solid'  as the MD / Boeing birds.  All in all though, the aircraft from both manufacturers appear to be well built and maintained.  For me as a passenger, that is the prime concern when I get on board.

incident-prescription
incident-prescription