Author Topic: Substituting aircraft???  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Pam Brooker

• View Profile
Substituting aircraft???
« on: November 13, 2016, 06:03:11 PM »
Ok, I know that for me to open a topic with the title of substituting aircraft, is probably not the wisest thing to do, however.. Hear me out as this has nothing to do with a DC-8 or C-17 or even a concorde..
Indeed, what this is about rather, is dealing with a complete vacuum of appropriate aircraft in X-Plane due to the lack of a large number of developers.. For instance, and of most importance, although XP has the LES SAAB-340, its a fifty dollar model due to it being a study level aircraft. There are no freeare versions of that aircraft. Likewise, There is no EMB 120 brazilia, nor a metroliner worth flying, whatsoever. Howerver, what XP does have, is an EMB-110 Bandit. Its slightly smaller with a 20 passenger limit, It's also only twenty five dollars. With comparable performance and sizes, I would like to substitute the 110 for the 120, to help fill in the gaps so to speak.. Is that OK???
That I should never forget!

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Re: Substituting aircraft???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 07:09:21 PM »
TWVA allows for aircraft substitutions for some of the exact reasons you have indicated.  The aircraft should have similar capacity and range, (ie.  subbing a DC-3 on a B747 flight defies the bounds of common sense).  The EMB-110 to EMB-120 you indicate looks like a fine substitution from a logical, common sense approach.

All I ask my pilots do is to include in the comments section of the PIREP the type of bird flown.  It makes reviewing the PIREP data easier in regards to fuel burns, times, etc.  I have a lot of pilots with payware Airbus products that can cross over to Boeing and MD-83 routes quite easily, and I am fond of trotting out the Thomas Ruth DC-10 on some of the L-1011 routes.

Offline Pam Brooker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »
Awesome.. Thanks Marty.. I'll get to work on a livery tomorrow. I woirked on the "Other' 707 today. I just may have to make some use of it..

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »
"Yes Virgina, pencils can fly!"   8)

Offline Pam Brooker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
Pencils!!?? :::LOL:: yeahhh, its a long little doggy for sure.. I had to have it. Its not supposed to have spoilers. Its the only commercial aircraft designed to use reverse thrust for slowing down and losing altitude.. "I" thought; Hey, this could be a challenge!. I was wrong.. This thing can be put down, literally on a dime. Hit flaps 50 at 120 knots and you float down like an angel..
But the greatest pencil of all, is the legendary A340-600. This thing is so long, it has two of its own postal codes.. Incredible plane. I had the captain Sim version of it in FSX and flew it everywhere. I loved that thing.. Yeahhh, the DC-8 may not be an A-340 but oh my word is it sweet to fly, even with a five year old worn out joystick, thats seen more flights than any stick should ever see..

incident-prescription