Author Topic: Some not so good news  (Read 15265 times)

Offline Brian Wilber/Ozark CEO

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
Some not so good news
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
First of all, let me just say that I am not after sympathy. I am telling you all because I covet your prayers if you are so inclined. So here goes:

On about the 29th of December, I went to the local emergency room for a problem that was diagnosed as a urinary tract infection. No big deal, but I didn't think that was right. Turns out, it wasn't. The next day, the hospital called back and told me that the radiologist had looked at the CT scan they had done and had spotted a small mass in my bladder. A week ago I had a consult with the chief urologist at the VA hospital in Charleston, SC and he is pretty sure that it is a tumor. However, taking in all the information he has, he says that in about 80% of these cases, it is low-grade cancer.

I go back on the 1st of Feb. and he will put me under and scope the bladder to better see what's going on. If it is what he thinks, it will just be laying on the bladder wall and he can remove it easily right then and there, and that should be the end of it. They will do further testing to confirm the diagnosis, and I will have to go back about every three months to keep an eye on it.

I will keep you all posted, but worst case scenario is I may have to have the bladder removed. Not the way I wanted to live out my remaining days, but it's doable. I am in the care of the Great Physician, so I am not worrying (at least not much) and even if He takes me home, I know that to live is Christ and to die is gain. In other words: You can't threaten me with Heaven!

Offline Perry Fincher/TWVA1732

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
Re: Some not so good news
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:22:35 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Keep positive and all will work out.

Take it easy and take care of yourself.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Offline Michael Concannon /OVA5155

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
My prayers are with you. Medical science is progressing quickly - hopefully it will meet the challenge. I know it has for me personally in a couple of instances.
Gear DOWN
Flaps DOWN
Hook DOWN
Spoilers OFF

Offline Marty Barnes / TWVA-KLAX

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:54:16 PM »
You and your family will be in my and my family's prayers.  Early detection is the key and sounds like they have caught it.  The human body is amazing in what it can do, especially in its' ability to heal.  Combine that with modern medicine and it makes a pretty good one-two punch.

Offline Howard Lindsay/TWVA451

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
My and my family's prayers are with you, be strong.

Offline Mark Hughes/TWVA2153

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 08:14:56 PM »
You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Stay strong.

Offline Tom Burrill/TWVA1981

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
Thinking of you Brian and  will keep you in my prayers.

Offline Wayne Silk/TWVA1503

• You Have the Controls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »
My prayers are offered Brian.  Please think positive and may God bless you.

Offline Cris Kubiak/TWA 2204

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »
Hope all went well!

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 09:35:27 PM »
Thank you all. Please forgive me, I have been remiss in not keeping you informed.
The procedure went well. Doc says he got it all and it was not attached very deeply at all. In fact he said it barely bled when he cut it out. That said, it was bigger than we thought  although that's not alarming as the CT scan where it was spotted was done without contrast and therefore the measurements could easily be off. Doc does think it was cancerous, but since it wasn't very deep into the bladder wall, it shouldn't be a major thing. I go on the 16th for a follow up, and we will be going over the pathology results. We don't expect any problems there, so it looks like this is now a part of my history.

To God be the glory.

Offline Howard Lindsay/TWVA451

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
Great news Brian, God bless.

Offline Charlie Ford/TWVA-CEO

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »
I apologize for missing your follow up report. That is great news and glad so far the prayers have been answered. We will keep the prayers coming but glad you are doing good so far.

Offline Tom Burrill/TWVA1981

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Great news Brian I have been in your spot 15 years ago when I had surgery for Prostate cancer the days seem to become more special over night.
Thanks for the follow up. :) :)

Offline Perry Fincher/TWVA1732

• Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:09:07 PM »
Great to hear, Brian!!!

• Administrator
  • Forum Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 12:50:41 AM »
For the latest: I am scheduled for a second surgery on the 6th of April so they can take a little more of the bladder lining where the tumor was attached. This is just to ensure that they get deep enough and get all of the cancer cells.

Some time after that, and I don't know when yet, they will begin localized chemotherapy that they call BCG Therapy. It is administered straight into the bladder, so it should not produce the side effects that normal chemo is known for, at least not to the same degree. I don't have much hair to lose anyway. :D This treatment will be weekly for six weeks, at the end of which they are hopeful that they can declare me to be cancer free.

After that, I will have to go back after three months, and then six months, and then a year, and so on, just to be sure it stays gone, and if it comes back, they can catch it early.

Now for the freaky stuff, and this blew my mind when doc explained it. If the cancer returns and the worst happens, they can remove my bladder completely, take a section of my colon, and make a new bladder out of that. I dunno about you, but that just boggles my mind. I thank God for the knowledge He has given modern medical scientists.

I am in good spirits, and while apprehensive (fear of the unknown, I guess) I stand by what I said at the outset. God is good, and no matter the outcome, I know it is what is best for me. I am SURE of my eternity, so you can't threaten me with Heaven.

If anyone reading this is not 100% sure that they'd go to Heaven if they were to die today, PLEASE PM ME! I would love to show you in the Bible how God says you CAN know for certain. Hint: It ain't the church you go to.

incident-prescription